Friday, April 1, 2011

The Learning Curve

As a lifelong student of new and exciting ventures, I feel blessed to have a zest for learning and life. Whether it's taking continuing education courses for my Massage Therapy or personal training business, or on-line writing workshops and writing conferences where I can hone my skills as a fiction writer, I've come to the conclusion that I am hooked on the learning curve.

We all learn in different ways and at our own pace. I'm clearly enamoured with the process and all that goes with it. Sometimes there is frustration--will I ever be able to write a synopsis without gritting my teeth and yanking out my hair? I hope so. (I'm taking a workshop this month to teach me how to do just that.) Other times, it seems like I'll never quite grasp a new concept (show,don't tell--really?) or be able to keep up with technology. But then I breathe and relax and take pleasure in the little successes. Like getting my web site going or starting this blog (or learning how to download music to my new HTC Thunderbolt.)

Thanks to my parents, I have a great work ethic. And thanks to the school of hard knocks, I've learned to consider consequences. These lessons have served me better in some ways than any amount of education ever could, but when applied to learning a new skill or mastering a passionate pursuit, self-discipline and practice make the journey a series of experiences that lead to ultimate success. Along the way, I learn about myself and grow stronger, hopefully wiser, and get the opportunity to experience as much of life as I can fit into this one existence.

What have you learned lately that has enhanced your life experience or helped you to grow?

No comments:

Post a Comment